Wednesday, December 17, 2008

5 Guilty Pleasures You've Probably Heard By Now

In response to the previous post, "5 Songs You Should Have Heard By Now," I thought I would write a little piece on 5 songs that a typical hipster may call too mainstream for an everyday listen--but admit it, you know every word.

T.I.: Whatever You Like

Let's be honest here, T.I. is one smooth fellow; as soon as that first "you can have whatever you like" kicks in, your head starts swaying. I have never been a T.I. fan; honestly I'm not into the whole Akon, T.I., new Kanye smooth Auto-Tune sound. But T.I. has what it takes to make a song everyone at the club can dance to.

Katy Perry: Hot N Cold

The first time I heard this song I though it was one of those 90s electro-pop ballads from an artist like 3LW, or that DJ Sammy remix of "Heaven," but actually the song is by "I Kissed A Girl" sensation Katy Perry. This year Katy has blown up, shocking audiences with songs like "Ur So Gay," but with the song "Hot N Cold" she has created something that is just as catchy but won't offend as easily.

R Kelly: Ignition (Remix)

Simlar to T.I., R Kelly is another smooth fellow and knows what it takes to make a great pop song. Yeah it's old, yes I'm sure you've heard it thousands of times at parties, but I'm also sure that when it comes on the radio you don't turn it off.

Twisted Sister: I Wanna Rock

Yeah, this is an old one--and probably a band that most of us laugh at the mention of, but tell me you don't head bang every time this song comes on and I'll be shocked.

Lil Jon (featuring Sean Paul and E40): Snap Ya Fingers

Alright, so I'm not the biggest fan of most mainstream rap, but here is a track that I can appreciate. Lyrically this song is pretty bad, but the beat and synth lines are pretty nice. I put the song on every once in awhile when I need to get pumped up, and for that reason it makes my list as a guilty pleasure.

No comments: