Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Live Review: Of Montreal @ The Roseland Ballroom, Friday October 10th

om from pitchfork

Last Friday Of Montreal played at the Roseland Ballroom in the wonderful New York City. The show was at the Roseland Ballroom in Manhattan, which I must say is a wonderful venue. The show was in support of the new album "Skeletal Lamping" which I honestly haven't heard that much of.

The first thing you need to know about this show is that it was most likely pulled straight out of an acid trip, but we'll get there later.

First let's talk about the venue. Roseland Ballroom is an interesting place to say the least. It wasn't designed for the purpose of holding concerts so at first it seems quite large for a club, especially when you take the massive balcony into account. Regardless I'm not sure if I could think of a better place for a show like this. The show was almost as big as the room.....if that makes sense.

The first band was....interesting. They're called Love Is All and basically they're an indie dance pop band from Sweden. Basically they sound like a much less psychedelic version of Of Montreal and quite frankly I found them to be somewhat boring. However now that I've checked out their Myspace I have to say, they're ok. They had good stage presence and great interaction with the crowd but I think the fact that I was waiting for Of Montreal cast a shadow over their performance.

As far as Of Montreal's live show, as I said, it was pulled straight out of an acid trip. The first thing you noticed as the band came on stage was the interesting stage set-up with it's multiple risers for most of the band members and the band's choice of costume (which changed for lead singer Kevin Barnes on a regular basis). As far as the set list went, a lot of the songs were from their newer albums and it even featured Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit." This was definitely not the song I thought I'd see Of Montreal Cover, especially not with Andrew VanWyngarden of MGMT, which was the icing on top of the mushroom-filled cake that was this show.

All-in-all the show was great. Of Montreal's performance rivaled that of band's like Gogol Bordello, it was one of the best I've seen. I would suggest looking into some Of Montreal tickets in the future.

om 3 from pitchfork

om 13 from pitchfork
Andrew VanWyngarden of MGMT(left) Kevin Barnes of Of Montreal (right)

om 2 from pitchfork

om 12 from pitchfork

to hear Love Is All: http://www.myspace.com/loveisall8
to hear Of Montreal: http://www.myspace.com/ofmontreal
all pictures were taken from Pitchfork, please email vinylvisionsblog@gmail.com if you are from Pitchfork and would like them taken down

No comments: